Monday, April 18, 2016

Creating a Cutwork File

The next step in this tutorial is to create the cutwork file for the bird appliqué. Once you have your final design, it is quite easy to change it to a cutwork file.



The first step is to drag the bird body and bird wing off the hoop.  Follow the directions in the picture to change the shapes to a cutwork file.


I then copy and paste the shapes into a NEW file.  I usually change the Cutting Offset to 0.3mm to make it larger so the blanket stitch covers all of the fabric pieces.

The file will come in grouped and so the first step is to ungroup them.

Using the rectangle shape, I draw a rectangle around each shape and resize it to a basic shape such as 3" x 3".   This rectangle is the size of the cut fabric and you will place your cut fabric in this square.

I always center the designs within each rectangle using the alignment tools. Then I change the line to a Running stitch with a length of 3.0.

I then make a duplicate of the rectangle and reduce the size by a 1/4" or 2.75" x 2.75".  I change the color to red and a running stitch of 3.0 as well.

I combine the blue running stitch rectangle and place them first in the design.  I combine the red rectangles and place them second so they will sew out after I have placed my fabric in the hoop. Then the red stitching will baste the fabric to the hoop.

To combine designs > Select both trays in the sequence manager>Right click on the designs in the hoop>Combine.

The last step is to select the bird body and the wing shape and Combine them. This step will then cut out the #1 blade position in both shapes, the #2 etc.


Notice the trays in the Sequence Manager.  Your designs should look like mine!
I always add these steps to all of my cutwork designs.

Cut the bird fabric - 3" x 3" and the wing fabric 2" x 2".  

Hoop the Medium/Heavy Tear Away stabilizer and stitch out the blue fabric frames.  Cut the fabric pieces following the measurements above. Back with AppliKay Wonder or your favorite stabilizer.  Spray the stabilizer and place the fabric pieces in their respective frames.

Stitch the red frame shapes- this is the basting box. Stitch the running stitch around each shape.

Change to the Cutting Tool.  Be sure to use the Cutwork plate, foot #44C and start with blade turn #1.  Cut away!

If this is your first Cutwork design from start to finish, CONGRATULATIONS!

You may download my Colorful Bird file DRAW here.

Coming next....How to convert this cutwork file to a Silhouette Cameo Studio file.








No comments:

Post a Comment